Rejected by Chevening ('22/'23): Moving on (Part 2)

Two years ago I shared about getting rejected from the 2022 Chevening Scholarship (read here for Part 1)

In that post, despite not getting the scholarship, I said that I can still pursue what I advocate for and my aspirations even without the scholarship or studying MA in Citizenship Education at University College London (I got the offer letter, but withdrew it). So that's what I did as I moved on from the rejection (with a positive outlook). I conducted workshops with teachers, created teaching materials, and designed project-based learning modules dedicated to implementing civic and citizenship-integrated English language teaching for secondary school students. Not getting the scholarship didn't stop me from doing any of these.

When the application for the YSEALI Seeds 2024 was announced, my team and I decided to apply for it so that we could scale the civic and citizenship education-related initiatives by conducting a series of online and physical teacher training workshops. Possessing prior experiences in teaching civic and citizenship education (integrating it with ELT), I had a lot of materials and evidence that could be used to strengthen the application as per the tips given during the series of info sessions. The other two members of the team also consist of teachers committed to enhancing civic education in any way possible. So the application seems promising.

But alas, the project was only ranked as an 'alternative project' despite scoring high among the 600 submitted applications from 11 YSEALI countries. I honestly do not expect one of the winning teams would drop out so here I am being accepting of this fact. Despite this near-miss success/failure (not sure what to call it haha), it still won't deter me from implementing this innovative curriculum of mine. Besides, it's great that YSEALI sees the potential in this project.

So this is not a post to show any disappointment or regret. I'm just saying that despite such losses, it won't hinder me from continuing to do this.

(Read part 3 here)


Comments