Book review: 'And the Mountains Echoed' by Khaled Hosseini (5/5 Stars!)


I didn't expect that this book would be the book that would make me bawl my eyes out at the end. It did. I finally cried while reading a book. This never happened before so this came to me as a surprise when tears started coming out. This is because of the thoughts that I had conjured from reading the last 10 pages of this book. 

As I progressed through this book, while I was reading every word, every paragraph, and the lives of the characters, my own future just flashed right before my eyes. This book has a time setting of a span of 60 years, so some of the characters have their future all lined out and slowly unfolding which made me thought of how I would treat those around me, especially my own family when I get older. There are bound to be losses, separation, disappointments caused by our own family members, and a number of things that would test the human heart whether to live on or give up.

Although this book evoked a different kind of emotion that I had experienced from his last book (A Thousand Splendid Suns), which I had read because it was part of an assignment for a literature course that I did when I was in uni (I loved the book. I love the emotional roller coaster that it gave me while I was reading it), I feel that this one is more personal and it gave me a lot of thought about the years that I have ahead of me, how I would spend it to the fullest, and face the anticipated and unexpected challenges that might come smacking in my face out of the blue.

Comments

Unknown said…
This review makes the book intimidating. I liked that you talked of how the book affected you as a person instead of talking about the plot. I should do that more in my review.