The sake of future generation

7:07 PM

31st August 1957 Malaya gained independence from the British colony.
22nd July 1963 Sarawak was granted independence from the British government.
31st August 1963 Sabah (North Borneo) was declared a self-government from the British colonial.
16th September 1963 the day Malaysia was formed.

Through out my years of learning 'Sejarah' during secondary school, never once did '22nd July 1963' and '31st August 1963' appeared on my 'Sejarah' text book. Never once did my 'Sejarah' textbook stated that '22nd July 1963 Sarawak was granted independence from the British government' or '31st August 1963 Sabah (North Borneo) was declared a self-government from the British colonial'. All I knew was that '31st August 1957 Malaya gained independence from the British colony' and '16th September 1963 the day Malaysia was formed'. 



I understand and accept that the historical fact had stated that all Sabahans and Sarawakians had agreed to merge with Malaya to form Malaysia, but as a future teacher and a Sabahan, I do not want my students to be ignorant of the fact that 22nd July 1963 and 31st August 1963 are also significant to Malaysian history. With the people of Malaysia (mostly people of Sabah & Sarawak) are being aware of the fact that these dates and the events that are significant to those dates are being omitted from 'Sejarah' textbooks more or less to 'confuse' the younger generation (I myself almost fell into the trap), I can only hope that the awareness will promote a change to the content of the 'Sejarah' textbook as an initial action. All thanks to 1 Suara Sabah



Happy 55th Independence Day Malaya & Happy 49th Independence Day Sabah (North Borneo). :)


p/s: I have another blog but with not much words in it. The main focus are the pictures. Please feel free to visit and follow my tumblr. I do micro-blogging there. It's updated daily.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe