20th October 2010 - today is Wear Purple Day!!!

12:52 PM

I wore purple baju kurung to class today in remembrance of the 6 boys who committed suicide in recent weeks/months due to homophobic abuse in their homes or at their schools. Why purple? Purple represents Spirit on the LGBT flag. And purple also happens to be one of my favourite colour!


In my opinion, no one should be discriminated or abused just because they are different from us. That includes sexual orientation, race, status, etc.

I always hold to this quote - ''Never isolate or discriminate those who are different from us. They need friends too.''

Just in case you are wondering, I am in fact straight and a heterosexual. I'm supporting today's remembrance because I have a few friends who are homosexuals/bisexuals and also I am against discrimination especially the ones that involves violence.

The talk of homosexuals and bisexuals is indeed a taboo for societies all over the world. This is primarily due to our beliefs in religion that restrict such relationship to be practiced. Even so, people with such sexual orientations exist in this world and we should not isolate or discriminate them. How would you feel if you are being isolated and discriminated against? Walk in their shoes and think about it...

I know this post might be a little bit controversial to you all because you and me might not see each other eye to eye on this one but I'm just voicing out my thoughts. This is not a propaganda.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe